A while back I posted about the differences between message boards and blogs. Being that it was one of my most popular posts ever (and something I use in meetings often), I still think about the differences.
It's so interesting to me how their respective design and semantic differences send messages regarding their use. Here are some examples and other thoughts...
- A blog post says â€œHere it is, dig itâ€??
- A message board post says â€œyour turnâ€??
- Comment implies â€œif you want, not requiredâ€??
- Reply implies â€œIâ€™m not done until you do.â€??
More in the same vein:
- A blog is my back yard
- A message board is a park
- A blog has readers
- A message board has lurkers
- A blog is all about ME
- A message board is all about US
- When things go quiet on a blog, the onus is on one person
- When things go quite on a message board, the onus is on everyone