I just heard about this new service called MountainStats that is using GPS, snowsports and competition to foster an online community.
Here's how it works...
- Get a compatible GPS device
- Turn it on and hit the slopes
- The GPS tracks where you go and how fast
- Upload your stats to a web site
- Compare and share your stats online
- Create buddy lists
- Compete with others
It tracks these things:
- Total Vertical
- Distance Covered
- Top/Average Speed
- Degree of Slope
- Rate of Descent
I'm not convinced this is going to create a great community, but I could totally see how this could be fun among a group of folks who ski together on a regular basis. Just another way the web is bringing us together...