As you may know, the Google search box can take you directly to some resources, based on the words you use to search. These are called look-ups. A couple of basics:
- define: (insert word) will take you to a page of definitions
- link: (insert domain) will list all the pages linking to that site
- Entering an address (street and city) will provide Yahoo!/Mapquest Maps at the top of the page.
Aaron Swartz recently posted a list of new look-ups. These are pretty handy, in my opinion...
Google has added more search by number features:
- Area Codes, e.g. 650, bring up maps.
- UPC codes, e.g. 073333531084 or 036000250015, bring up some information about the product.
- Flight numbers, e.g. usair 50, provide links to flight tracking
- Vehicle ID (VIN) numbers, e.g. JH4NA1157MT001832, link to a CARFAX report on what kind of car and its status.
- U.S. Postal Service tracking numbers link to package status.